Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

American English greetings, opening lines and conversations

1.10   Greetings (First time meeting):

There are many ways to greet someone.  Here are some examples.
Greetings (First time meeting):

Question: Hi, my name is Sebastian.  It's nice to meet you.
You can respond to this by saying:
It's a pleasure to meet you.  I'm Hector. Or thank you Mr. Trump, I have a question for you.

Another regularly asked American question is:
What do you do for a living? You can answer to this by saying:
1.       I work at the coffee bean.
2.       I work at a night club.
3.       I work at a media company.
4.       I work for Donald.
5.       I'm a Veterinarian.
6.       None of your business.
7.       Why do you ask?

When people meet, they introduce themselves naturally. But in case they don’t, here are some ways to respond.
What is your name? Many times, I can’t hear or understand their name.  Huh? If you would like for them to repeat their name, you can simple ask:
1.       What was that again?
2.       Excuse me?
3.       Pardon me?
4.       I'm sorry I can't understand you. Can you repeat that?

General Statements


As you might have noticed in America, speaking in the present tense is not as common as speaking in the future or past tense.

Here are some example sentences:
1.       I see Rocco and Bobby over there by the newspaper stand.
2.       I'm going to the beach.
3.       I'm on my way home.
4.       I'm going to the movie theater.
5.       Talk to the hand.
6.       Carmen is going to the store.
7.       Jackie is making coffee now.
8.       The breakfast is starting now.
9.       The owner is waiting for you in her office.
10.    Tell the receptionist that you are here to see Mr. Hamilton.

Common Questions and Answers

To answer these questions, you should use the present tense since these events are currently occurring.
Each sentence begins with 'I am' or I'm instead of 'I will be' or 'I was.'

Exercise 1: Practice the following questions aloud.
1.       What are you doing? I am working out. Or I’m working out. Or, I'm tired, leave me alone.
2.       How is your day going? Fine, I have an easy day. Or Crazy day today.
3.       What are you doing now? I’m at Whole Foods spending my whole paycheck. or I'm working call you later.

Complain like an American:

Complain like an American.  For example, if you have a boring job, and who doesn't? You might want to complain to your friend. Just don’t let the boss hear you, and don’t put it in writing and don't post it on social media. 

Exercise 1: Repeat the following answers aloud.
How is your work these days?
1.       Work is so boring, I’m going crazy. Or It's terrible I can't wait to find a better job.
2.       I ran out of things to do and my boss is too swamped to give me more work.  I tried to find things to do with no avail.  I'm sitting at my desk on Facebook.
3.       Work seems so boring.
4.       Time goes so slow when you're bored.  I'd rather be working or anything else.
5.       The day goes by faster when I'm busy. 

Leisure or Recreational time



Have you tried the following to fill your free time? Gardening, exercise, genealogy, fishing, bowling, biking, photography, collecting, reading, music, hiking, or sports.

General Activity Statements

Exercise 1: Repeat the following answers aloud.
1.       I need to find a job.  I have nothing to do all day.
2.       I would love to go hang gliding.  It's exciting.
3.       I would go skiing more often, but it's dangerous.
4.       I wish tennis wasn't so expensive.
5.       How have you been?
6.       How you've been?

These informal questions are only asked by people who have already met. If someone asks you. How have you been? They want to know if you have been well since the last time the two of you were together.
1.       How do you do?
2.       Hey, Hey man, or Hi
3.       How’s it going? or How are you doing?
4.       What’s up? What’s new? or What’s going on?
5.       How’s everything? How are things? or How’s life?
6.       How’s your day? or How’s your day going?
7.       Good to see you or Nice to see you
8.       Long time no see or It’s been a while

Business greetings and formal greetings

Exercise 1: Repeat the following greetings aloud.
1.       Good morning, Good afternoon, or Good evening
2.       It’s nice to meet you. 
3.       Pleased to meet you.

Greetings for an informal situation.
To show friendliness or informality add "hey" or "yo" to the beginning of these greetings.
Exercise 1: Repeat the following greetings aloud.
1.       Hey, what’s up? Yo, what's up?
2.       Yo, good to see you.
3.       Hey, how are things with you?
4.       How’s it going?
5.       How’s life been treating you? It’s going good?
6.       What’s cooking?

The pronunciation is often shortened to, cookin. This is highly informal, slang and should only be used with people around your age and or socioeconomic class. Its similar in use to What’s happening? Or What’s good?
•             What’s happening?
The pronunciation is often shortened to happening.

Greeting a person, you haven’t seen for a long time (the boss)

Exercise 1: Repeat the following statements aloud.
1.       It's been a long time.
2.       It’s been too long.
3.       It’s always a pleasure to see you.
4.       How long has it been?
5.       What’s new?
6.       Good morning Mr. President 

Greeting a person, you haven’t seen for a long time (friends)

Exercise 1: Repeat the following statements aloud.
1.       Long time no see.
2.       Where have you been hiding?
3.       It’s been ages...since I’ve seen you.
4.       How’ve you been.
5.       You look thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment